It’s hard to believe we are already in another new year. When I was a kid the days and years seemed drag along. Now it’s like I blink and months have flown by. I suspect the reason for that is, as a child I wasn’t busy. Sure, I had to go to school, but that was it. I didn’t have responsibilities like I do now.
Anyway, I’m determined to make this year great. While I’m not declaring “resolutions” I do have a list of things I am going to work on.
- Read more. In the past I challenged myself to read a certain number of books every year. For the most part I met or surpassed that goal, because I hate to “lose”. Last year I didn’t do the challenge and I went weeks and weeks without reading. I was not happy about that, especially since I was still buying books on the regular.
- Write regularly. Not specifically blogging, though I’m hoping to do more of that in the next twelve months. I’m determined to make progress on my fiction stories though. Possibly even start something new or at least brainstorm on recent ideas. After work today I’m stopping by the book store near my office to pick up a journal. My Papaw wrote little micro entries for years and years, as did his mother. I want to start doing that too.
- Be more aware of what I’m putting into my body. In general, I eat pretty healthy. I love fruits and veggies. I don’t eat red meat, but I do eat poultry and some fish. Any bread I have is wheat and I try to watch my carbs. But lately I’ve been slipping, repeatedly. Strangely enough, it’s been on sweets, which are filled with sugar and cholesterol, both of which I’m suppose to avoid. Last night while watching the Sugar Bowl I wrote out a shopping list for recipes from the SkinnyTaste cookbook. I plan to prepare things this weekend and have yummy, healthy meals for next week.
- Get snap happy. I used to carry my camera in my purse, back when all I had was a pocket size point and shoot. But since I bought my DSLR a few years ago it’s much heavier and only randomly carry it with me. I’ve started a 365 project on Flickr.
- Sleep! Go to bed on time, and get up on time. I had been doing so well with getting the right amount of sleep until the last year or so.
- Wear makeup. I know this is kinda silly, but I’ve always loved playing with makeup. Decorating my eyes with fun looks, bright lipsticks. Last year that changed, because I allowed someone to sorta dictate that for me. It was silly and I started to become someone I wasn’t. This goal sorta plays hand in hand with sleep/getting up on time. I’m really bad about waiting until the last minute before getting up and it doesn’t give me time to do much more than foundation and mascara. For years I invested so much into cosmetics that have just collected dust recently. Fixing that.
- Travel. Pretty self explanatory. I have a lot of people and a lot of places I want to visit this year.
Above all, I want to Be Aware. I don’t want to float through the year and become complacent. I do that a lot. I tend to wait for things to happen. I don’t like that about myself. I guess “aware” is my word for the year. I can’t wait to see what I do with it.